Wednesday, September 21, 2011

recent paintings....

I thought I'd start using this to document the progress of my work.  I'm not good at keeping my ideas in one place and when I am able to find ideas that I put down I realize that I change my mind pretty frequently and am convinced of one thing one day and something totally different the next.  

Here are a few paintings that are in progress that are up on my studio walls at the moment.  For the time being, I am interested in identity and am addressing that through the lens of culture.  

I vacillate between feeling totally immersed in the each of the diverse socio-cultural groups that I associate myself with – or feeling like I am drifting on their peripheries, looking in at something vaguely familiar, even foreign.  I am passionately protective, and privately insecure about my place.  I am arrogant, and humbled to be part of something so exclusive.  

I deal with questions related to this dilemma daily.  My art reflects that.  With it, I struggle to distinguish the indistinguishable, for identity is fluid. Identity is subjective.  The very term “identity” deceptively seems to describe something finite.  I don’t know who the heck I am sometimes, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I'm working on a series of Gauguin paintings where I am inserting myself, a modern Polynesian person, into the scene as the main figure.  I'm also working on a series of tropical plants in topiary pots.  I thought the juxtaposition of something seen as wild or utilitarian in one society, and only decorative/aesthetic in another might be interesting.
18x24" Oil on canvas

18x24" Oil on canvas

24x36" Oil on canvas

24x72" Oil on canvas - 2 panels

6 comments:

daveandsavani said...

Tali, your paints are AWESOME! I would love to see more of them!!! or take a tour of your office. haha.

ps. i love your decorations for noke's birthday too =))

mary said...

sooooo cool tal! i love the explanation of your project. . . i think it's something almost everyone who reads your blog and/or looks at your work can relate to. i hadn't seen that first one yet. love it! love this post. i hope you do more like it!

Anonymous said...

hi there,

i stumbled upon your blog from random blog surfing but i just wanted to say, wow! your art is awesome and i love the idea of it all, especially juxtaposing the simplistic/voyeuristic/colonial/young-girl-fetish "image" of gaugin with what a real, modern polynesian person actually is. seriously cool! :)

Line said...

wow, you are so talented tali, not just with your artistic abilities, but also with your creativity and ideas. love it!

Josie said...

LOVE it. i love, love the plant idea especially. when i move into my house one day, i will make you paint me things :)

CO Toelupes said...

Amazing - love the depictions of Polynesian culture of yesterday and today. So talented!